revolutionizing the way in which sporting events are viewed
SVI IN THE NEWS
Helmets with Built-In Cameras Are Coming to College Football and the NFL
Article Source - Sport TechieMarch 2, 2015
Link to story: http://www.sporttechie.com/2015/03/02/helmets-with-built-in-cameras-are-coming-to-college-football-and-the-nfl/
In lieu of Sports Video Innovations’ (SVI) release of SchuttVision 2.0, I had the opportunity to speak to the Chief Executive Officer, Jeremey Jeansonne – He explains how SVI revolutionized the innovative helmet, the company’s success in its first go-around, and expansion to the NFL and NCAA in 2015.
When Jeremey Jeansonne, Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Sports Video Innovations (SVI) listened to his partner, JR’s dream of a football helmet with a built-in camera, he said it was an incredible idea–but thought was everybody else thought: that this had already been done and that they’re late to the ballgame.
After research and searching through patents, they figured out that this has never been done before, so they began the process of finding money–they found angel investors and seed investors, and built a proof of concept.
SVI hired freelance engineers who put it together, using many off-the-shelf components, mixed and matched just to get it working.
“Through that time, we figured out we had no idea about helmets and its safeness, so we learned very early on that we were going to have to partner with a helmet manufacturer and that’s when we contacted Schutt and organized a meeting with their Board, Directors, and the CEO”, said Jeansonne.
They presented their proof of concept–Schutt Sports saw the helmet’s potential and formed a partnership.
In January 2013, the R&D and engineering began for SchuttVision 1.0, which featured a 64-degree field of view with only an SD card. Their biggest challenge, however, was making the helmet National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE) compliant.
It was finally introduced at the American Football Coaches Association Convention in 2014, where it got a great response.
Afterward, they immediately started selling to colleges and a few NFL teams for practice situations; also made a deal with the Arena Football League for the 2014 season, so the SchuttVision can be worn in live games. There were five games on CBS Sports and ESPN that the helmet was broadcasted in. The helmet showed shots from the camera during the game, but there was a between a seven to eight minute delay in using the footage after the play occurred.
Jeansonne received feedback from the field and what the coaches wanted to improve about the helmet included: better stabilization, more field of view, seamless uploading, and a way to stop recording of the helmet. So, they did not have three to four hours of film to go through when editing the video. The biggest compliment Jeansonne received was the helmet was unobtrusive.
“Everyone’s complimented on its very unobtrusive, its lightness, and how it looks. It’s a balanced weight in the helmet, so your head is not going to teeter-totter in any way–literally the game-changer that everybody’s been looking for in helmets, with a camera system that is just safe,” Jeansonne recalled.
Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 11.01.13 AM
Jeansonne took all of it into consideration for improvements and enhancements for the SchuttVision 2.0, the streaming and wireless version, which was launched last month. The newest version features a wider 100 degree field of view for better stability, a mobile application for the team’s video editors and programmers, and live streaming capabilities.
Looking Ahead in 2015 – Talking Enhancements and Growing SchuttVision with Jeremey Jeansonne.
SchuttVision Recording Audio
“We left out audio for many reasons; mainly because we haven’t been asked to put audio in it. Maybe in the future, but for now, we’re going to leave it out because it brings the action too close. It’s a dissonance, you know–when you see somebody get hit and you watch it, you can hear some of the brutal hits in football–it’s not as glorious to the networks when marketing.”
SchuttVision Upgrading from 720p to 1080p Camera
“That’s going to be a goal for this year: to upgrade the fps from 30 to 60, and up to 1080p. We are going to upgrade the lenses by the end of the year. We’re also developing software on the receiving end, where you can store it on your laptop. ”
Building on Its Football Partnerships
“We’re just trying to get it out there more. That’s the main goal for the next six to eight months, get it out in more hands. The NCAA, they’re working on a deal to get it into five to six bowl games this season, so that will be huge for us. Also, using Tomcat post production to really get feedback from the fans, and if this is something they want or desire.
Football teams in high school can use the helmet in practice, but cannot use it in games. Like college, they have to be provisioned in the rules and there’s a really big grey area in high school (in regards to competitive landscape), so they try to keep it as fair as possible”
Expanding to Other Sports
SVI’s short-term goal in the first four to five years is to integrate to football helmets throughout all levels of play. Naturally, as it continues to grow, the company can start integrating to other sports.
“Right now, we’re already going into baseball–we’ve already built a prototype for a catcher’s mask. And we’re going into hockey in the fall within the next six to eight months, so we’re moving fast and moving into every sport we possibly can.”
Other News Coverage
- The Salt Lake TribuneCollege football: Helmet cams could give teams a new point of view September 2, 2015
- First Down LineSchuttVision 2.0 ReleasedJanuary 26, 2015
- ForbesHelmet Camera Technology Helps Football Coaches Instruct Their PlayersJanuary 10, 2015
- CBS SportsEngineering the Perfect Season: Helmet CamOctober 1, 2014
- Squawk BoxSVI CEO JR Liverman on CNBC Squawk BoxAugust 21, 2014
- Sports Palooza RadioJR Liverman on Sports PaloozaAugust 7, 2014
- 110 Nation Sports Radio ShowJR Liverman on 110 Nation SportsJuly 29, 2014
- St. Louis Post-DispatchSchutt's football helmet gives new views of the gameJuly 20, 2014
- 60 Max Power OSports Video Innovations' 'SchuttVision' changing the way coaches, players and fans see the game July 11, 2014
- YardBarkerNew 'SchuttVision' changing the way Jaguars\' coaches and players see the gameJuly 11, 2014
- NFL.comNFL.Com SchuttVision storyJuly 1, 2014
- BizTechLink to BizTech story on SchuttVisionJuly 1, 2014
- ESPN RadioESPN's John Clayton interviews co-founder JR Liverman on Inside The HuddleJuly 1, 2014
- All-Out BlitzSchuttVision Helmet Cam Hits Market for High Schools & ParentsJuly 1, 2014
- Team Insights MagazineSchuttVision Helmet Camera Puts Coaches and Fans on the FieldJuly 1, 2014
- Fox 28, Kyle/Brazos Valley, TexasNew camera could change the way you watch footballJune 30, 2014
- 60 Max Power OSteelers use hi-tech helmetJune 23, 2014
- NBC SportsNBCsports-Helmet cam could be coming to NFL gamesJune 23, 2014
- YardBarkerSteelers using hi-tech SchuttVision helmetsJune 23, 2014
- NFLSteelers and Packers use helmet during practice June 22, 2014
- FansidedSteelers use helmet for film studyJune 22, 2014
- Pittsburgh Tribune-ReviewSteelers using new helmet cam technologyJune 21, 2014
- Dallas Morning NewsDallas Morning News--SVI and Paragon InnovationsJune 2, 2014
- First Down Line Part 3SchuttVision in the NFL, what’s next for the technologyJune 2, 2014
- Fox Business, Countdown to the Closing BellCEO JR Liverman interview on FOX Business NewsMay 30, 2014
- Terez Owens Sports BlogVideo: Game-changing football helmet camMay 28, 2014
- First Down Line Part 2Schutt Vision helmet cam gives coaches, fans all they wantMay 21, 2014
- First Down Line Part 1JR Liverman the man behind the helmet cameraMay 15, 2014
- Arena FanAudio: AFL Tonight - Episode 10: KISS`em goodbyeMay 14, 2014
- The Philadelphia InquirerSoul to use helmet video camera during Sunday's game April 27, 2014
- The Des Moines RegisterBarnstormers use helmet during AFL gameApril 26, 2014
- KAGS TVVideo: Helmet cam revolutionizes football fan experienceApril 25, 2014
- Philly.comSoul to debut AFL's newest toy, the SchuttVision HelmetApril 24, 2014
- Fox SportsMiami LB Denzel Perryman's helmet camera shows his perspective on fieldApril 16, 2014
- Sports Talk FloridaVideo: Playing defense through the eye of a hurricaneApril 16, 2014
- The Palm Beach PostVideo: Watch Hurricanes’ spring game through Denzel Perryman’s eyesApril 16, 2014
- BroBibleVideo: Here’s what it’s like to play linebacker for the miami hurricanesApril 16, 2014
- Give Me SportVideo: Miami release linebacker helmet-cam footageApril 16, 2014
- Lost LettermenVideo: Denzel Perryman hit captured on helmet camApril 16, 2014
- Total Pro SportsVideo: Miami Hurricanes linebacker Denzel Perryman was wearing a helmet cam when he collided with teammate Gus EdwardsApril 16, 2014
- Bleacher ReportVideo: Miami Linebacker Denzel Perryman lays huge hit during spring gameApril 16, 2014
- BuzzFeedVideo: This is what it’s like to play linebacker for the Miami HurricanesApril 16, 2014
- Business InsiderVideo: Helmet cam shows first-person footage of what it's like to be a linebackerApril 16, 2014
- Elite DailyVideo: Incredible helmet cam shows what it’s like to be a linebacker for the Miami HurricanesApril 16, 2014
- The ScoreVideo: Want to know what it’s like to be a linebacker? This brilliant helmet cam footage takes you thereApril 16, 2014
- FansidedVideo: Miami Hurricanes’ Denzel Perryman shows us what it’s like to play linebackerApril 16, 2014
- DeadspinVideo: First-person footage shows us what it's like to play linebackerApril 16, 2014
- Sports IllustratedMiami linebacker Denzel Perryman wore a helmet cam during the Hurricanes spring gameApril 15, 2014
- GamedayrVideo: Miami’s Denzel Perryman lays hit in spring gameApril 14, 2014
- Sports GuruVideo: Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman lays out teammate during spring gameApril 14, 2014
- NCAAFVideo: First-person look at Denzel Perryman blowing up teammate in spring gameApril 14, 2014
- Next Impulse SportsVideo: Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman crushed a teammate during spring gameApril 14, 2014
- My Ark La MissWarhawks get new point of view with helmet cameras for spring gameApril 11, 2014
- New Jersey On-LineRutgers spring practice: QB helmet cams another variable in choosing a starterMarch 29, 2014
- My Central JerseySchutt Vision helmet cameras offer Rutgers coaches a new way to dissect quarterback playMarch 29, 2014
- KCBDNew football helmet promises to change the game foreverMarch 16, 2014
- Bleacher ReportMeet the helmet camera, college football's new fad that will catch on quickMarch 11, 2014
- Shreveport TimesTim Fletcher: Following the vision. Shreveporter's helmet cam has the attention of the NFLMarch 10, 2014
- Sporting NewsClemson helmets are getting built-in camerasMarch 8, 2014
- YAHOO! SportsClemson and LSU's quarterbacks' helmets have built-in cameras (Photo)March 7, 2014
- NBC SportsClemson QBs will wear football helmets with built-in camerasMarch 7, 2014
- Arena FootballAFL, Sports Video Innovations to introduce SchuttVisionJanuary 14, 2014
- Crain's Chicago BusinessHeady view: Arena Football League adds helmet camerasJanuary 14, 2014
- Sports IllustratedAFL introduces in-helmet cameras to provide first-person views during broadcastsJanuary 14, 2014
- MashableGame changer? Helmet cameras hitting arena football this yearJanuary 14, 2014