revolutionizing the way in which sporting events are viewed
SVI IN THE NEWS
Steelers using new helmet cam technology
Article Source - Pittsburgh Tribune-ReviewJune 21, 2014
Published: Saturday, June 21, 2014, 9:00 p.m.
Mike Tomlin didn't say it once but twice: “It gave me a headache.”
But in the NFL, where everyone is looking for the slightest advantage, the Steelers coach will deal with short-term misery if it results in long-term success.
The Steelers during spring practices experimented with new technology called SchuttVision — a full contact-capable helmet with an integrated high-definition video system that records never-seen-before angles that can be used as a teaching tool.
It's not quite to the level of analytics or advanced statistics that have become popular in baseball and hockey, but for an organization that doesn't advocate change, the helmet cam — even if on a trial basis — can be considered a leap of faith.
“This time of year, I think it's appropriate to be open to the growth of technology in our game,” Tomlin said. “So I'll do things such as that and look at innovative things and see if it can be useful to us.”
The Steelers used it twice during spring practices, with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wearing it on the first day of organized team activities and receiver Antonio Brown on the last.
The players said they have yet to see the video, but offensive coordinator Todd Haley and quarterback coach Randy Fichtner have.
“You can identify the fronts and when we are pointing out (middle linebackers) and stuff like that because usually the eyes are looking where he's pointing,” Haley said. “You can see the direction the head is at the snap. It's interesting technology. It's a neat concept. We haven't done a whole bunch with it, but the technology is phenomenal. If not for anything else, it forces the player that has it on to be on his P's and Q's.”
Fichtner, who has been coaching Roethlisberger for four years, admits he hasn't put much thought in how the video could be used, but he did believe it could help backup quarterbacks Bruce Gradkowski and Landry Jones as much as Roethlisberger.
“You would like to think that if you see something from his eye level that it could potentially give every other quarterback who wasn't getting that rep a chance to view that,” Fichtner said. “We really haven't taken it to that next level yet. It's new technology, so sometimes it's tough to grasp right away.”
Unveiled in January, SchuttVision is being used by 33 NFL and NCAA teams. The company also has a partnership with the Arena Football League — including the Pittsburgh Power — that uses the video to enhance game broadcasts.
Helmets retail for $1,200 each. There currently are 76 helmets being used. Teams range from having one to 10 helmets.
It was in fall 2011, and JR Liverman woke up from a dream with vision of a helmet cam.
Liverman quickly drew an image on his computer, and since then that dream has taken off.
Liverman founded Sports Video Innovations, recruited investors, created a prototype and located a partner with Schutt Sports, one of the leading helmet manufacturers.
“Some 30 months later, we launched what's known as SchuttVision,” Liverman said. “The response has been fantastic.”
The impact-resistant camera fits into the helmet's nose bumper, shoots 720 high-definition video and has a 21⁄2-hour battery life. It captures footage on an SD card or transmits a live signal to the sidelines for further processing.
Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/6306161-74/ncaa-steelers-nfl#ixzz35YyWiHEi
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
Other News Coverage
- The Salt Lake TribuneCollege football: Helmet cams could give teams a new point of view September 2, 2015
- Sport TechieHelmets with Built-In Cameras Are Coming to College Football and the NFLMarch 2, 2015
- First Down LineSchuttVision 2.0 ReleasedJanuary 26, 2015
- ForbesHelmet Camera Technology Helps Football Coaches Instruct Their PlayersJanuary 10, 2015
- CBS SportsEngineering the Perfect Season: Helmet CamOctober 1, 2014
- Squawk BoxSVI CEO JR Liverman on CNBC Squawk BoxAugust 21, 2014
- Sports Palooza RadioJR Liverman on Sports PaloozaAugust 7, 2014
- 110 Nation Sports Radio ShowJR Liverman on 110 Nation SportsJuly 29, 2014
- St. Louis Post-DispatchSchutt's football helmet gives new views of the gameJuly 20, 2014
- 60 Max Power OSports Video Innovations' 'SchuttVision' changing the way coaches, players and fans see the game July 11, 2014
- YardBarkerNew 'SchuttVision' changing the way Jaguars\' coaches and players see the gameJuly 11, 2014
- NFL.comNFL.Com SchuttVision storyJuly 1, 2014
- BizTechLink to BizTech story on SchuttVisionJuly 1, 2014
- ESPN RadioESPN's John Clayton interviews co-founder JR Liverman on Inside The HuddleJuly 1, 2014
- All-Out BlitzSchuttVision Helmet Cam Hits Market for High Schools & ParentsJuly 1, 2014
- Team Insights MagazineSchuttVision Helmet Camera Puts Coaches and Fans on the FieldJuly 1, 2014
- Fox 28, Kyle/Brazos Valley, TexasNew camera could change the way you watch footballJune 30, 2014
- 60 Max Power OSteelers use hi-tech helmetJune 23, 2014
- NBC SportsNBCsports-Helmet cam could be coming to NFL gamesJune 23, 2014
- YardBarkerSteelers using hi-tech SchuttVision helmetsJune 23, 2014
- NFLSteelers and Packers use helmet during practice June 22, 2014
- FansidedSteelers use helmet for film studyJune 22, 2014
- Dallas Morning NewsDallas Morning News--SVI and Paragon InnovationsJune 2, 2014
- First Down Line Part 3SchuttVision in the NFL, what’s next for the technologyJune 2, 2014
- Fox Business, Countdown to the Closing BellCEO JR Liverman interview on FOX Business NewsMay 30, 2014
- Terez Owens Sports BlogVideo: Game-changing football helmet camMay 28, 2014
- First Down Line Part 2Schutt Vision helmet cam gives coaches, fans all they wantMay 21, 2014
- First Down Line Part 1JR Liverman the man behind the helmet cameraMay 15, 2014
- Arena FanAudio: AFL Tonight - Episode 10: KISS`em goodbyeMay 14, 2014
- The Philadelphia InquirerSoul to use helmet video camera during Sunday's game April 27, 2014
- The Des Moines RegisterBarnstormers use helmet during AFL gameApril 26, 2014
- KAGS TVVideo: Helmet cam revolutionizes football fan experienceApril 25, 2014
- Philly.comSoul to debut AFL's newest toy, the SchuttVision HelmetApril 24, 2014
- Fox SportsMiami LB Denzel Perryman's helmet camera shows his perspective on fieldApril 16, 2014
- Sports Talk FloridaVideo: Playing defense through the eye of a hurricaneApril 16, 2014
- The Palm Beach PostVideo: Watch Hurricanes’ spring game through Denzel Perryman’s eyesApril 16, 2014
- BroBibleVideo: Here’s what it’s like to play linebacker for the miami hurricanesApril 16, 2014
- Give Me SportVideo: Miami release linebacker helmet-cam footageApril 16, 2014
- Lost LettermenVideo: Denzel Perryman hit captured on helmet camApril 16, 2014
- Total Pro SportsVideo: Miami Hurricanes linebacker Denzel Perryman was wearing a helmet cam when he collided with teammate Gus EdwardsApril 16, 2014
- Bleacher ReportVideo: Miami Linebacker Denzel Perryman lays huge hit during spring gameApril 16, 2014
- BuzzFeedVideo: This is what it’s like to play linebacker for the Miami HurricanesApril 16, 2014
- Business InsiderVideo: Helmet cam shows first-person footage of what it's like to be a linebackerApril 16, 2014
- Elite DailyVideo: Incredible helmet cam shows what it’s like to be a linebacker for the Miami HurricanesApril 16, 2014
- The ScoreVideo: Want to know what it’s like to be a linebacker? This brilliant helmet cam footage takes you thereApril 16, 2014
- FansidedVideo: Miami Hurricanes’ Denzel Perryman shows us what it’s like to play linebackerApril 16, 2014
- DeadspinVideo: First-person footage shows us what it's like to play linebackerApril 16, 2014
- Sports IllustratedMiami linebacker Denzel Perryman wore a helmet cam during the Hurricanes spring gameApril 15, 2014
- GamedayrVideo: Miami’s Denzel Perryman lays hit in spring gameApril 14, 2014
- Sports GuruVideo: Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman lays out teammate during spring gameApril 14, 2014
- NCAAFVideo: First-person look at Denzel Perryman blowing up teammate in spring gameApril 14, 2014
- Next Impulse SportsVideo: Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman crushed a teammate during spring gameApril 14, 2014
- My Ark La MissWarhawks get new point of view with helmet cameras for spring gameApril 11, 2014
- New Jersey On-LineRutgers spring practice: QB helmet cams another variable in choosing a starterMarch 29, 2014
- My Central JerseySchutt Vision helmet cameras offer Rutgers coaches a new way to dissect quarterback playMarch 29, 2014
- KCBDNew football helmet promises to change the game foreverMarch 16, 2014
- Bleacher ReportMeet the helmet camera, college football's new fad that will catch on quickMarch 11, 2014
- Shreveport TimesTim Fletcher: Following the vision. Shreveporter's helmet cam has the attention of the NFLMarch 10, 2014
- Sporting NewsClemson helmets are getting built-in camerasMarch 8, 2014
- YAHOO! SportsClemson and LSU's quarterbacks' helmets have built-in cameras (Photo)March 7, 2014
- NBC SportsClemson QBs will wear football helmets with built-in camerasMarch 7, 2014
- Arena FootballAFL, Sports Video Innovations to introduce SchuttVisionJanuary 14, 2014
- Crain's Chicago BusinessHeady view: Arena Football League adds helmet camerasJanuary 14, 2014
- Sports IllustratedAFL introduces in-helmet cameras to provide first-person views during broadcastsJanuary 14, 2014
- MashableGame changer? Helmet cameras hitting arena football this yearJanuary 14, 2014