revolutionizing the way in which sporting events are viewed
SVI IN THE NEWS
Dallas Morning News--SVI and Paragon Innovations
Article Source - Dallas Morning NewsJune 2, 2014
Richardson tech firm helps give fans a player's-eye view of football
By ARSELIA GALES Staff Writer email@example.com
Published: 31 May 2014 06:12 PM
Updated: 03 June 2014 10:18 AM
The Richardson-based engineering and product development company Paragon Innovations is helping change the way people watch football games.
In 2012, Sports Video Innovations approached the company to design a camera that would seamlessly fit into a football helmet and let spectators see what the players see. The tool is aimed at giving fans, players and coaches a unique view of the action on the field.
In January, Sports Video Innovations partnered with the Arena Football League to use the technology during games, and in April, AFL fans saw it put to use in a game between the Iowa Barnstormers and the Philadelphia Soul. Fans saw the view of the players on the field via replay throughout the national broadcast on ESPN2.
Just a few months later, nearly 30 college or National Football League teams have signed up to use the helmet cam.
JR Liverman, founder and CEO of Shreveport, La.-based Sports Video Innovations, said he researched product development firms across the U.S. and chose Paragon to develop the helmet cam after a colleague recommended the company.
“The company has a great track record, and we believed they could best execute what we wanted to do,” he said.
Since its inception in 1990, Paragon has worked with startups and Fortune 500 companies such as 3M and Motorola Solutions.
The company’s engineers designed Quest Medical’s first Myocardial Protection System for use in cardiac surgery and are responsible for an automotive transmission system reference platform for one of Motorola’s largest automotive customers.
Carl Jackson, a senior engineer at Paragon, designed the electronics and software for the camera along with two other engineers. Jackson, who has been with the company for 21/2 years, began designing the camera in December 2012.
Although he enjoyed the assignment, Jackson and his team faced some challenges.
“We couldn’t stick a camera lens through the helmet, so the imaging system had to be small enough to fit on the outside of the helmet, be no taller than the face guard and still survive tremendous impacts,” he said.
In addition, Jackson said, most companies specializing in camera-related components are interested only in high-volume markets such as cellphones and wouldn’t sell to them. Some didn’t even return the team’s phone calls, he said.
Sports Video Innovations partnered with Schutt Sports, a football helmet manufacturer, to provide a base for the camera. The camera-enabled helmet is known as SchuttVision.
The impact-resistant camera fits into the helmet’s nose bumper, shoots 720 HD video and has a 21/2-hour battery life. It captures footage on an SD card or transmits a live signal to the sidelines for further processing.
The video footage is primarily used for coaching, recruiting, social media and television broadcasts.
Liverman said the footage can help coaches better understand what the players see and can serve as a valuable instruction tool.
The helmet camera was tested by Schutt and certified as compliant with standards outlined by the nonprofit National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment. The organization aims to enhance athletic safety through scientific research and the creation of performance standards for protective equipment.
Paragon CEO Mike Wilkinson says this was a great accomplishment for both Paragon and Sports Video Innovations.
In addition to the 14 AFL teams, eight NFL teams use the SchuttVision helmets, including the Jacksonville Jaguars and Buffalo Bills.
Twenty-one National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I teams, including Texas and Texas Tech, use the helmets.
In all, 128 SchuttVision cameras are in use by the AFL, NCAA and NFL. Helmets retail for $1,200 each.
“The helmet is starting to show up in games quite a bit,” Jackson said. “It’s pretty exciting.”
Football may be just the beginning for the helmet cam. Liverman hopes to also use SchuttVision technology in hockey, lacrosse and baseball games.
“We want to change the way that fans experience the game,” he said.
Other News Coverage
- The Salt Lake TribuneCollege football: Helmet cams could give teams a new point of view September 2, 2015
- Sport TechieHelmets with Built-In Cameras Are Coming to College Football and the NFLMarch 2, 2015
- First Down LineSchuttVision 2.0 ReleasedJanuary 26, 2015
- ForbesHelmet Camera Technology Helps Football Coaches Instruct Their PlayersJanuary 10, 2015
- CBS SportsEngineering the Perfect Season: Helmet CamOctober 1, 2014
- Squawk BoxSVI CEO JR Liverman on CNBC Squawk BoxAugust 21, 2014
- Sports Palooza RadioJR Liverman on Sports PaloozaAugust 7, 2014
- 110 Nation Sports Radio ShowJR Liverman on 110 Nation SportsJuly 29, 2014
- St. Louis Post-DispatchSchutt's football helmet gives new views of the gameJuly 20, 2014
- 60 Max Power OSports Video Innovations' 'SchuttVision' changing the way coaches, players and fans see the game July 11, 2014
- YardBarkerNew 'SchuttVision' changing the way Jaguars\' coaches and players see the gameJuly 11, 2014
- NFL.comNFL.Com SchuttVision storyJuly 1, 2014
- BizTechLink to BizTech story on SchuttVisionJuly 1, 2014
- ESPN RadioESPN's John Clayton interviews co-founder JR Liverman on Inside The HuddleJuly 1, 2014
- All-Out BlitzSchuttVision Helmet Cam Hits Market for High Schools & ParentsJuly 1, 2014
- Team Insights MagazineSchuttVision Helmet Camera Puts Coaches and Fans on the FieldJuly 1, 2014
- Fox 28, Kyle/Brazos Valley, TexasNew camera could change the way you watch footballJune 30, 2014
- 60 Max Power OSteelers use hi-tech helmetJune 23, 2014
- NBC SportsNBCsports-Helmet cam could be coming to NFL gamesJune 23, 2014
- YardBarkerSteelers using hi-tech SchuttVision helmetsJune 23, 2014
- NFLSteelers and Packers use helmet during practice June 22, 2014
- FansidedSteelers use helmet for film studyJune 22, 2014
- Pittsburgh Tribune-ReviewSteelers using new helmet cam technologyJune 21, 2014
- First Down Line Part 3SchuttVision in the NFL, what’s next for the technologyJune 2, 2014
- Fox Business, Countdown to the Closing BellCEO JR Liverman interview on FOX Business NewsMay 30, 2014
- Terez Owens Sports BlogVideo: Game-changing football helmet camMay 28, 2014
- First Down Line Part 2Schutt Vision helmet cam gives coaches, fans all they wantMay 21, 2014
- First Down Line Part 1JR Liverman the man behind the helmet cameraMay 15, 2014
- Arena FanAudio: AFL Tonight - Episode 10: KISS`em goodbyeMay 14, 2014
- The Philadelphia InquirerSoul to use helmet video camera during Sunday's game April 27, 2014
- The Des Moines RegisterBarnstormers use helmet during AFL gameApril 26, 2014
- KAGS TVVideo: Helmet cam revolutionizes football fan experienceApril 25, 2014
- Philly.comSoul to debut AFL's newest toy, the SchuttVision HelmetApril 24, 2014
- Fox SportsMiami LB Denzel Perryman's helmet camera shows his perspective on fieldApril 16, 2014
- Sports Talk FloridaVideo: Playing defense through the eye of a hurricaneApril 16, 2014
- The Palm Beach PostVideo: Watch Hurricanes’ spring game through Denzel Perryman’s eyesApril 16, 2014
- BroBibleVideo: Here’s what it’s like to play linebacker for the miami hurricanesApril 16, 2014
- Give Me SportVideo: Miami release linebacker helmet-cam footageApril 16, 2014
- Lost LettermenVideo: Denzel Perryman hit captured on helmet camApril 16, 2014
- Total Pro SportsVideo: Miami Hurricanes linebacker Denzel Perryman was wearing a helmet cam when he collided with teammate Gus EdwardsApril 16, 2014
- Bleacher ReportVideo: Miami Linebacker Denzel Perryman lays huge hit during spring gameApril 16, 2014
- BuzzFeedVideo: This is what it’s like to play linebacker for the Miami HurricanesApril 16, 2014
- Business InsiderVideo: Helmet cam shows first-person footage of what it's like to be a linebackerApril 16, 2014
- Elite DailyVideo: Incredible helmet cam shows what it’s like to be a linebacker for the Miami HurricanesApril 16, 2014
- The ScoreVideo: Want to know what it’s like to be a linebacker? This brilliant helmet cam footage takes you thereApril 16, 2014
- FansidedVideo: Miami Hurricanes’ Denzel Perryman shows us what it’s like to play linebackerApril 16, 2014
- DeadspinVideo: First-person footage shows us what it's like to play linebackerApril 16, 2014
- Sports IllustratedMiami linebacker Denzel Perryman wore a helmet cam during the Hurricanes spring gameApril 15, 2014
- GamedayrVideo: Miami’s Denzel Perryman lays hit in spring gameApril 14, 2014
- Sports GuruVideo: Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman lays out teammate during spring gameApril 14, 2014
- NCAAFVideo: First-person look at Denzel Perryman blowing up teammate in spring gameApril 14, 2014
- Next Impulse SportsVideo: Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman crushed a teammate during spring gameApril 14, 2014
- My Ark La MissWarhawks get new point of view with helmet cameras for spring gameApril 11, 2014
- New Jersey On-LineRutgers spring practice: QB helmet cams another variable in choosing a starterMarch 29, 2014
- My Central JerseySchutt Vision helmet cameras offer Rutgers coaches a new way to dissect quarterback playMarch 29, 2014
- KCBDNew football helmet promises to change the game foreverMarch 16, 2014
- Bleacher ReportMeet the helmet camera, college football's new fad that will catch on quickMarch 11, 2014
- Shreveport TimesTim Fletcher: Following the vision. Shreveporter's helmet cam has the attention of the NFLMarch 10, 2014
- Sporting NewsClemson helmets are getting built-in camerasMarch 8, 2014
- YAHOO! SportsClemson and LSU's quarterbacks' helmets have built-in cameras (Photo)March 7, 2014
- NBC SportsClemson QBs will wear football helmets with built-in camerasMarch 7, 2014
- Arena FootballAFL, Sports Video Innovations to introduce SchuttVisionJanuary 14, 2014
- Crain's Chicago BusinessHeady view: Arena Football League adds helmet camerasJanuary 14, 2014
- Sports IllustratedAFL introduces in-helmet cameras to provide first-person views during broadcastsJanuary 14, 2014
- MashableGame changer? Helmet cameras hitting arena football this yearJanuary 14, 2014