revolutionizing the way in which sporting events are viewed
SVI IN THE NEWS
JR Liverman the man behind the helmet camera
Article Source - First Down Line Part 1May 15, 2014
Editor’s note: This story is the first in a three-part series regarding Sports Video Innovations (SVI) and Schutt Vision, the new high-tech helmet camera being used by major college football programs across the country, the Arena Football League and more.
SVI CEO and co-founder JR Liverman spent an hour-long hangout (Google+) with FirstDown|Line sharing insight, background and perspective on his piece of sports technology taking the football world by storm.
Rutgers is just one major college football program using Schutt Vision, the idea of Sports Video Innovations CEO and founder JR Liverman
Imagine seeing your hopes and dreams (literally) ripped apart by the hands of another right in front of you!
As it happened to JR Liverman, many things flashed before his eyes — the prototype he had spent months working on, which had cost him a job, his marriage and family.
But while horror was certainly upon his face, a Schutt Sports engineer was ripping in to the future of football from a first-person perspective.
Liverman recalls Schutt Sports CEO Rob Erb grabbing the working model off the table and saying: “Let me see this.”
“He said, ‘what is this inside of here?’ and grabs out what were the guts of our prototype. $75,000 of prototype was no longer working.”
It was here, the fate of Liverman’s genesis would be decided. The idea that came to him in a recurring dream in September 2011 would live on or die.
“(Erb) passes it to the engineer,” Liverman said. “He said, ‘what is this inside of here?’ and grabs out what were the guts of our prototype. $75,000 of prototype was no longer working.”
More than a year of hard work had transpired since the original sketches Liverman drew on his computer at 3:30 a.m. after the dream of a helmet with a camera on the front of it compelled him to get out of bed.
He had lost his job as an employee at a recreational vehicle dealership.
“The people I was working for took notice,” Liverman said. “It wasn’t long before I was released from that job. That was certainly a shock to the system, to myself, my family and particularly my wife.
He and his business partner, Jeremey Jeansonne, raised more than $100,000 to get the project off the ground.
He worked to convince his wife and family that creating this camera was something he needed to do.
“She wasn’t thrilled with a middle-aged man who was unemployed with four children chasing a dream to put a camera on a helmet,” Liverman said.
And, with funds nearly going dry, he and Jeansonne had finally secured a meeting with Erb and Schutt Sports.
And just minutes into the meeting, the remains of the helmet cam prototype were draped from the fingers of the engineer.
“I am not sure how to say the first five minutes of that meeting went, but I know I saw my life and my wife flash before my eyes,” Liverman said. “I think Jeremy was in the fetal position in the corner. It was not going well.”
Or so it seemed, before everything finally paid off.
Erb walked over to Liverman and said:
“I am going to go run a football helmet company. These guys will take care of the details. I think it is one of the greatest ideas I have ever seen.”
“He shook my hand and left the room,” Liverman said. “(Others) in the room said: ‘We’ve never seen him this excited about a project before.’ I said, ‘What does he do when he hates something?’”
“It wasn’t until the point (Erb) got up to leave that I was sure we had the beginnings of what has turned out to be a great partnership.”
And with that, Sports Video Innonvations (SVI), Liverman and Jeansonne’s company, stayed afloat and Schutt Vision was born.
A 2-plus year journey was fulfilled and now major college football programs across the country, the Arena Football League are providing fans with first-person look-ins from their quarterbacks, linebackers, safeties, wide receivers and more.
“It has been phenomenal,” Liverman said. “The growth has been tremendous. The response from the teams has been tremendous. We are excited as more and more teams start to take advantage of the technology.
“There are so many things we found out it is capable of doing that we didn’t necessarily realize in the beginning that we have learned as we have gone on this journey, such as the social media aspect — the value of the content to universities, coaches and teams.”
Check back next week for Part 2 of this series about Schutt Vision.
To read more visit: www.firstdownline.com/?p=479
Other News Coverage
- The Salt Lake TribuneCollege football: Helmet cams could give teams a new point of view September 2, 2015
- Sport TechieHelmets with Built-In Cameras Are Coming to College Football and the NFLMarch 2, 2015
- First Down LineSchuttVision 2.0 ReleasedJanuary 26, 2015
- ForbesHelmet Camera Technology Helps Football Coaches Instruct Their PlayersJanuary 10, 2015
- CBS SportsEngineering the Perfect Season: Helmet CamOctober 1, 2014
- Squawk BoxSVI CEO JR Liverman on CNBC Squawk BoxAugust 21, 2014
- Sports Palooza RadioJR Liverman on Sports PaloozaAugust 7, 2014
- 110 Nation Sports Radio ShowJR Liverman on 110 Nation SportsJuly 29, 2014
- St. Louis Post-DispatchSchutt's football helmet gives new views of the gameJuly 20, 2014
- 60 Max Power OSports Video Innovations' 'SchuttVision' changing the way coaches, players and fans see the game July 11, 2014
- YardBarkerNew 'SchuttVision' changing the way Jaguars\' coaches and players see the gameJuly 11, 2014
- NFL.comNFL.Com SchuttVision storyJuly 1, 2014
- BizTechLink to BizTech story on SchuttVisionJuly 1, 2014
- ESPN RadioESPN's John Clayton interviews co-founder JR Liverman on Inside The HuddleJuly 1, 2014
- All-Out BlitzSchuttVision Helmet Cam Hits Market for High Schools & ParentsJuly 1, 2014
- Team Insights MagazineSchuttVision Helmet Camera Puts Coaches and Fans on the FieldJuly 1, 2014
- Fox 28, Kyle/Brazos Valley, TexasNew camera could change the way you watch footballJune 30, 2014
- 60 Max Power OSteelers use hi-tech helmetJune 23, 2014
- NBC SportsNBCsports-Helmet cam could be coming to NFL gamesJune 23, 2014
- YardBarkerSteelers using hi-tech SchuttVision helmetsJune 23, 2014
- NFLSteelers and Packers use helmet during practice June 22, 2014
- FansidedSteelers use helmet for film studyJune 22, 2014
- Pittsburgh Tribune-ReviewSteelers using new helmet cam technologyJune 21, 2014
- Dallas Morning NewsDallas Morning News--SVI and Paragon InnovationsJune 2, 2014
- First Down Line Part 3SchuttVision in the NFL, what’s next for the technologyJune 2, 2014
- Fox Business, Countdown to the Closing BellCEO JR Liverman interview on FOX Business NewsMay 30, 2014
- Terez Owens Sports BlogVideo: Game-changing football helmet camMay 28, 2014
- First Down Line Part 2Schutt Vision helmet cam gives coaches, fans all they wantMay 21, 2014
- Arena FanAudio: AFL Tonight - Episode 10: KISS`em goodbyeMay 14, 2014
- The Philadelphia InquirerSoul to use helmet video camera during Sunday's game April 27, 2014
- The Des Moines RegisterBarnstormers use helmet during AFL gameApril 26, 2014
- KAGS TVVideo: Helmet cam revolutionizes football fan experienceApril 25, 2014
- Philly.comSoul to debut AFL's newest toy, the SchuttVision HelmetApril 24, 2014
- Fox SportsMiami LB Denzel Perryman's helmet camera shows his perspective on fieldApril 16, 2014
- Sports Talk FloridaVideo: Playing defense through the eye of a hurricaneApril 16, 2014
- The Palm Beach PostVideo: Watch Hurricanes’ spring game through Denzel Perryman’s eyesApril 16, 2014
- BroBibleVideo: Here’s what it’s like to play linebacker for the miami hurricanesApril 16, 2014
- Give Me SportVideo: Miami release linebacker helmet-cam footageApril 16, 2014
- Lost LettermenVideo: Denzel Perryman hit captured on helmet camApril 16, 2014
- Total Pro SportsVideo: Miami Hurricanes linebacker Denzel Perryman was wearing a helmet cam when he collided with teammate Gus EdwardsApril 16, 2014
- Bleacher ReportVideo: Miami Linebacker Denzel Perryman lays huge hit during spring gameApril 16, 2014
- BuzzFeedVideo: This is what it’s like to play linebacker for the Miami HurricanesApril 16, 2014
- Business InsiderVideo: Helmet cam shows first-person footage of what it's like to be a linebackerApril 16, 2014
- Elite DailyVideo: Incredible helmet cam shows what it’s like to be a linebacker for the Miami HurricanesApril 16, 2014
- The ScoreVideo: Want to know what it’s like to be a linebacker? This brilliant helmet cam footage takes you thereApril 16, 2014
- FansidedVideo: Miami Hurricanes’ Denzel Perryman shows us what it’s like to play linebackerApril 16, 2014
- DeadspinVideo: First-person footage shows us what it's like to play linebackerApril 16, 2014
- Sports IllustratedMiami linebacker Denzel Perryman wore a helmet cam during the Hurricanes spring gameApril 15, 2014
- GamedayrVideo: Miami’s Denzel Perryman lays hit in spring gameApril 14, 2014
- Sports GuruVideo: Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman lays out teammate during spring gameApril 14, 2014
- NCAAFVideo: First-person look at Denzel Perryman blowing up teammate in spring gameApril 14, 2014
- Next Impulse SportsVideo: Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman crushed a teammate during spring gameApril 14, 2014
- My Ark La MissWarhawks get new point of view with helmet cameras for spring gameApril 11, 2014
- New Jersey On-LineRutgers spring practice: QB helmet cams another variable in choosing a starterMarch 29, 2014
- My Central JerseySchutt Vision helmet cameras offer Rutgers coaches a new way to dissect quarterback playMarch 29, 2014
- KCBDNew football helmet promises to change the game foreverMarch 16, 2014
- Bleacher ReportMeet the helmet camera, college football's new fad that will catch on quickMarch 11, 2014
- Shreveport TimesTim Fletcher: Following the vision. Shreveporter's helmet cam has the attention of the NFLMarch 10, 2014
- Sporting NewsClemson helmets are getting built-in camerasMarch 8, 2014
- YAHOO! SportsClemson and LSU's quarterbacks' helmets have built-in cameras (Photo)March 7, 2014
- NBC SportsClemson QBs will wear football helmets with built-in camerasMarch 7, 2014
- Arena FootballAFL, Sports Video Innovations to introduce SchuttVisionJanuary 14, 2014
- Crain's Chicago BusinessHeady view: Arena Football League adds helmet camerasJanuary 14, 2014
- Sports IllustratedAFL introduces in-helmet cameras to provide first-person views during broadcastsJanuary 14, 2014
- MashableGame changer? Helmet cameras hitting arena football this yearJanuary 14, 2014